About Me

My photo
"Feeling my way through the darkness, guided by a beating heart."

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Day 19...Even though today makes day 13!



Just a quick post to check in and see how it's going. Today is day13 of our whole30 (for Renee its day7) and so far things are off to a good start. So let's hear it! What are some of your struggles? Triumphs? What are you finding to be really easy? What are doing okay with living without?

For me, I surprisingly do not have any huge cravings. Sure, I wouldn't mind a homemade paleo chocolate chip cookie but I'm getting by just fine without desserts and sweets. Last night I was chatting with my friend Stephen who also jumped on the whole30 wagon and we talked about what our first meals would be after our 30 days is over. I honestly couldn't think of anything because I feel really good about the way I'm eating lately.

Keep up the good work everyone and be sure to add some comments, especially if you need help!

3 comments:

  1. For 10 of the 13 days we've been on the Whole30 (5 of the 7 days for Renee) I have been traveling. Prior to this experience, I would travel and say things like "I can't eat healthy, I'm traveling." Or, "it's too much of a pain to try and find healthy meals away from home." Basically, these are statements made because I feel things "are inconvenient."

    For me, this Whole30 experience highlights how ridiculous those statements are. Doing the Whole30 challenges me to think outside the box and make a concerted effort to find healthy food. Sure, I could go around the corner from my housing and grab a sub; it would certainly be the most convenient. But because we made the decision to eat healthy, grabbing a sandwich or a burger 'on-the-go', out of convenience, is an intentional non-option for us.

    And this brings me to something more profound that I am gaining from this experience. I think this feeling of inconvenience about eating healthy is because food - good and bad - is incredibly accessible to us. Since we can just grab food on the go, spending more time finding healthy food can feel burdensome. This excuse of inconvenience, I recognize, is me acting privileged. In other words, I am taking my access to food for granted. There are many places - here in the U.S. and across the world - where gaining access to food is an enormously difficult endeavor necessary (of course) so individuals may survive from one day to the next. And I'll be honest and say that I don't often think on the struggles of others trying to find food to live.

    All of this brings me to this: instead of living for convenience, I want to be intentional about my actions, in my nutrition as well as in the rest of my life. I think the Whole30 is a great way to practice this intentional way of being in a very defined way and I hope that I carry it after the program is complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on Conner! I'm glad you learned more than just about healthy eating. So much comes from a whole30: discipline, appreciation, gratitude,etc. Keep it up, it only gets better from here on out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. um... I found out I'm not supposed to have gum. But I've been chewing it this whole time! Otherwise things are going well. Half way through and I'm just now starting to feel the restrictions. I've been having more cravings lately. So far I can manage them all, but I know next week is going to be hard. I'm definitely seeing the results!

    ReplyDelete